Diploma in Film Production (Full Time)
Pulse College’s Full-Time Diploma in Film Production is one of the most respected courses of its type in Ireland. The Diploma has been designed in conjunction with and run by industry professionals. In addition to in-depth training, you will get the chance to collaborate with experts and students from the Audio, Games and Animation courses within Pulse College, which fuels the production of a wide variety of professional quality work for inclusion in your final showreel.
Explore different genres, learn the technical skills, exercise your craft and most of all find your voice through film. Pulse College’s multi award winning tutors will be there to mentor you every step of the way. This hands-on, technical programme will give you the tools you need to follow your passion and make it a success.
Alumni have gone on to establish their own production companies and have produced work that has appeared at numerous international film festivals or been shortlisted for national film funding awards.
The programme is delivered by practicing industry professionals from disciplines including screenwriting, production, sound, cinematography and post production.
Throughout this stimulating and rewarding course you learn a variety of technical and creative production skills. You will be challenged to produce a wide variety of professional quality work from commercial productions and viral videos to music videos and documentaries.
Key Course Elements
- Shoot your projects in Ultra HD with our 4K Blackmagic URSA Cinema Camera, Canon’s Cinema Line C100, GoPro Hero 4’s and Sony PMW Ex1’s.
- Light your creations with professional ARRI and Kino Flo lighting rigs.
- Add stunning backdrops using our dedicated Green Screen studio.
- Edit your projects in our post production facility kitted out with duel 4K 28” monitors and fully specced Mac Pro.
- Colour grade and edit your creations in the industry standard DaVinci Resolve and Final Cut Pro X.
- Get that perfect shot using our SteadiCam Pilot rig and fully body harness.
- Break into the world of gripping with our advanced Matthews Dolly and Track system, Flag and Net kits, C-Stand inventory and much more.
- Final Cut Pro, Level 200
- Motion Graphics, Level 101*
- Avid Pro Tools, Level 101*
Detailed Course Content
Programme modules and content are subject to ongoing quality assurance reviews and will evolve to reflect educational and industry developments.
- Video Production Techniques
- Short Film Production
- Music video production
- Sound Recording Techniques
- Editing Techniques
- Digital Photography
- Lighting for TV and Film
- Media Industries Organisations
- Researching, Recording and Presenting Information
Final Cut Pro, Level 200
- Working with the Browser and Bins
- Marking clips and creating insert and overwrite edits as well as drag and drop editing
- Trimming edit points using Ripple, Roll and Extend edits and the Slip and Slide tools
- Applying filters
- Audio editing and audio creation
- Finishing and final output
The skills gained through this course will allow you to move into a variety of careers within the Film industries, as well as to progress to further study. At the end of the programme, you will have built up an extensive portfolio demonstrating expert technical, artistic and professional abilities, giving you the cutting edge needed to gain employment in this exciting and varied industry.
You will graduate with a range of industry targeted qualifications in professional production software including Final Cut Pro, Motion, DaVinci Resolve and Pro Tools.
On completion of this programme you will be able to progress into a variety of roles within the film and media industries spanning camera and lighting, production, post-production (sound and picture), editing, directing, distribution, costume, location and sound.
We expect all applicants to have a proven interest in film and film production, and an interest in related creative media arts. Knowledge of the basic use of computers (either Mac or PC) and editing/film software will be helpful, but not essential before starting the course. A willingness to explore new ideas is important alongside a positive attitude towards this creative field of study.
The programme is designed for all ages and skill levels, whether you are new to the industry, looking to up-skill, or wanting to learn new skills and enhance your career options within the film and media industries. No industry experience is required and applicants may be accepted without formal academic qualifications.
Each applicant is offered an interview regardless of prior experience or academic qualifications. A portfolio of work which showcases your artistic, creative and design abilities is welcome, but not essential.
The letter we send you with the offer of an interview highlights requirements for selection and includes advice on interview preparation.
Applications from those (including visiting students) whose first language is not English should include an original or certified true copy of one of the following:
- TOEFL Paper based 570 with a TWE (test of written English) score of 4.5.
- Computer based 233 with a score of 4.5 in the essay.
- Internet based 90 with a written score of 21.
- Cambridge Proficiency Grade C.
- Cambridge Advanced Grade A.
- IELTS Academic Version 6.5 with no individual band below 6
Students who do not satisfy Pulse College’s English language requirements for direct entry will be required to take an English language preparatory course before commencing studies.
Total Cost: €6,990
Deposit: €1,800 (payable upon acceptance onto the course, following interview)
Enrolment Fee: €2,500 (payable in September)
Installments: 4 payments of €672.5 (Oct – Jan)