Higher Certificate in Game Development (full time)
September - June
With the continued growth of the games industry in Ireland, Pulse College has partnered with DIT to deliver an innovative Higher Certificate in Game Development.
If you have a passion for games, creative flair and technical aptitude, Pulse College can equip you with the professional skills required to enter this innovative, rapidly-growing industry.
Taught by practicing industry professionals, Pulse College ensure’s that you receive the very highest levels of training. A key part of the course involves producing a portfolio of work that will help you to get into the exciting and rapidly developing games industry.
This course covers a wide range of topics from game production techniques to concept art, character design, 3D animation, game audio and programming, and a key part of the course involves you producing a portfolio of work that will help you to get into the exciting and rapidly developing games industry.
During the course, you will learn about:
- Dynamics of modern 3D games by looking at what goes on ‘under the hood’
- Concept art
- Construction of complex scenes
- Development of 3D game levels
- Production of realistic environments for first, and third, person games
- Camera and lighting techniques, audio design for interactive media, texturing and special effects all play a part in this immersive games development course
Detailed Course Content
- Developing and prototyping game concepts for a variety of platforms and player types.
- Analysis and deconstruction of popular games to gain an understanding of the fundamental elements of games.
- User testing and feedback for games.
- Using game scripting to create gameplay scenarios.
- Developing games using C# and the Unity 3D game engine.
- Integrating 2D and 3D art in games.
- Understanding the importance of narrative in games.
- Creating realistic characters and worlds through the use of interactive narrative.
2D Game Art
- Working with preliminary designs and ideas, determining the overall look of the world in which a game takes place using sketches and colour schemes and creating atmosphere.
- How and when to use reference images.
- Creating game assets in 3D Studio Max.
- Texturing and animating 3D models for use in games.
- High polygon 3D workflows for games.
- Assessing game audio requirements.
- Studio and location recording techniques.
- Game audio development workflows.
- Non-linear audio for games.
- Teamwork and management for the games industry.
- Business fundamentals for game companies.
- Regular talks from game industry professionals.
This course is developed around the IGDA curriculum framework.
Project and practical time is held Mon-Fri and equates to 20 hours per week.
BSc in computer game development (level 7&8), DIT Aungier Street
Career paths open to graduated include:
- Game Designer
- Narrative Designer
- Level Designer
- Game Programmer
- Game Artist
- Graphic Designer
- Creative Director
- PreVis Artist
- Technical Artist
- Lead Artist
- Concept Artist
- Environment Artist
- 3D Modeller
- Quality Assurance Tester
- Sound Designer
The standard minimum entry requirement for first year admission to this Higher Certificate programme is five passes in the Leaving Certificate including Mathematics and either Irish or English. Or alternatively a FETAC Level 5 qualification. Applicant subject to interview.
If you do not have the minimum Leaving Certificate requirements, please contact us as we can talk to you about other routes you can take to enrol on the course.
To talk to someone now regarding admissions please contact pulse [at] pulsecollege [dot] eu or call +353 1 478 4045
Admissions Office opening hours:
Monday-Friday 09:00-17:00 GMT
You may also like to attend our next open day
Total Cost: €6,770 per year (2 years in duration)
Deposit: €1,800 (payable upon acceptance onto the course, following interview)
Enrolment Fee: €2,500 (payable in September)
Installments: 6 payments of €366 (Oct – Mar)
Exam Fee: €270 (payable in February)
* Pending validation by Dublin Institute of Technology